Thursday, November 6, 2014

Coemeterium Priscillae: Catacomb of Priscilla

The Catacomb of Priscilla, located on Rome's ancient Via Salaria, is an experience not to miss.

This catacomb is still operated by Benedictine sisters.  This is the burial area where the body of St. Philomena had been interred.  

Here you will see what is said to be the oldest-known image of the Blessed Virgin Mary - dating back to the early third century.  The image depicts Our Blessed Lady nursing the Baby Jesus.

I will always remember the time my good friend Greg brought me and my parents here for an amazing VIP tour experience.  Thanks, Greg, I will always be indebted!  Then he was kind enough to rush us to the Vatican Museums for another VIP tour experience, and then introduced us to Insalata Ricca in Piazza Risorgimento, 4 (Btw, a great place for lunch in Rome for North Americans who find themselves in Italy - after a few days - craving a hearty, healthy salad). 

No comments:

Post a Comment